Tuesday, December 07, 2004

going to the big starlight mint factory in the sky


my mom riding another horse named chinos

sad today. my mom is putting general, her horse, to sleep tomorrow [wednesday]. he has a degenerative ligament disease that has been getting worse and worse. she's a dressage rider and a jumper and hasn't been able to do any of that with him for a long time -- he's been just a really big, snuggly, peppermint candy-loving pet for a while, which has been fine. recently, she found him leaning against the side of the stall. his recent ultrasound didn't look good either.

i know that she's doing the right thing, but i'm just sad for her. i know what it's like to lose a pet -- my dearest siamese, oliver, suffocated from feline leukemia in my arms on my 29th birthday. it was the most excruciating pain to my heart. my scream rattled our little coach house.

i am so glad that my mom is listening to her intuition that tells her it's time to let him go peacefully. i squelched that voice that told me over and over as ollie stumbled breathlessly, drooling, refusing to eat, too, but my vet convinced me to ride it out. a painful mistake that meant a painful death -- still makes me cry when i think about it. my mom's really at peace with it now. she's had a long time to think about this decision, and even though it's better than waiting until he is in serious pain, i'm sure it will still be so hard.

anyway -- please think of my mom and general today.

No comments: