having friends is like dating. in many respects, best-friendship is governed by a lot of the same dynamics. there's cheating, abuse, neediness, the whole ugly lot. sometimes, there is the desire to break up with a friend -- maybe the relationship has become toxic and routine. yeah, i know we've had good times and all, but it's time for us to move on. things have gotten stale and i don't feel good about myself when i'm around you. it's best we part ways. be "single" again. i pine for best-friend singledom: walking into a room of diverse and like-minded individuals that present so many possibilities of friendship.
just as some looking for love create lists of desirable attributes, so have i for designing the best best friend:
- reading does not include smutty celebrity gossip rags
- for every one fashion magazine, must subscribe to two other non-fashion magazines
- knowledge of/experience with npr, blogs, craigslist, google, and snopes a plus
- must have at least a 20gb ipod with more than just a smattering of top 40 singles on it -- pink mini ipod owners take caution
- like political views not important, but must respect differing opinions. willingness to avoid the topic altogether preferred.
- must bravely yet lovingly call me on my shit and expect the same in return
- must have some sense of personal style without being a fashion plate
- self-love and acceptance required: this includes moments of no makeup, cellulite, pimples, and general chubbiness. verbally castigating oneself for any of the above is prohibited.
- being a loyal and supportive workout/dance class buddy a strong plus
- martyrs, luddites, airheads, chick-lit addicts, narcissists, passive-aggressives and backlashers need not apply